About The Díseart, Dingle Co.Kerry

Guided by a Board of Directors and set up as a non-profit making organisation, and a registered charity Díseart opened and began employing permanent staff in 1999, with the aid of initial Government support through Údarás na Gaeltachta. The board includes Situated in An Daingean, the largest Gaeltacht town in Ireland.

Board of Directors

  1. Fr.Seamus Mac Sithigh (Cathaoirleach/Chairman)
  2. Dr. Tadhg Ó Dúshlaine
  3. Isabel Bennett
  4. Seámus Ó Fiannachta
  5. an tSúir Máire de Bhál
  6. an tSúír Dorothy Coistealbha
  7. Máire Uí Shíthigh
  8. Pádraig Firtéar
  9. Bríd Ní Mhoráin
  10. Pádraig Ó Foghlú (Rúnaí)
  11. Joan Nic Uidhir (leas-chathaoirleach)
  12. Marian Bn Uí Chofaigh (Cairde an Disirt)

 

The Diseart acts as the centre for a lively community giving expression to and promoting Celtic Culture and Spirituality as an integral part of our local heritage.

Housed in the former Presentation Convent premises in Dingle. Founded in 1966, An Diseart developed as a centre for research into all areas of Irish Spirituality and Celtic Culture including theology, language, literature, art, laws, folklore, values, spirituality, history, music, archaeology and customs led by the late Msgr Padraig Ó Fiannachta and associated with his valuable collection of manuscripts and books now housed in the Dingle Library.

With the support of the Presentation Sisters, An Diseart is managed by a voluntary board who make provision for the care and maintenance of the building and grounds.

The centre is available to the community for the development of spiritual, artistic, cultural and Irish language activities and is a place for everyone to bring and share their gifts. An Diseart organises cultural, spiritual and heritage events throughout the year and the gardens are a location for family picnics, cultural gatherings and private prayer and meditation.


Located in this peaceful haven on Green Street, Dingle, Díseart occupies a neo-gothic building designed by JJ McCarthy. Described as "breathtaking", "magnificent" and "a national treasure", by some of its visitors, the building is home to a beautifully proportioned chapel in which can be found twelve lancet windows created in 1924 by one of the foremost stained glass artists of all time, Harry Clarke. The windows, along with the tranquil walled gardens, first laid out in 1849, have become a popular attraction for the many visitors in Dingle.

The gardens are in three parts the top two parts have been developed according to a plan made by Mary Reynolds.